|Date:||1/2/97 Record No.: 10420|
|Contact:||Christine Bernosky, Contract Specialist, 201-724-2754|
Climate Change Fuel Cell Program
From Commerce Business Daily, 12/30/96
Category: B--Special Studies and Analyses--Not R&D (PROCUREMENTS)
Contact: US ARMY ARDEC, TACOM, AMSTA-AR-PCW-B, BLDG. 10, PICATINNY ARSENAL NJ 07806 POC Christine Bernosky email=cbernos, Contract Specialist, 201-724-2754, Paul Milenkowic, Contracting Officer, 201-724-5391 (Site Code W15BW9)
Synopsis: CLIMATE CHANGE FUEL CELL PROGRAM SOL 066&&&-9612-0012 The U.S. Army ARDEC is planning a cost sharing program in the form of multiple grants in support of the Climate Change Fuel Cell Program. This program involves using fuel cells in power plants to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through the efficient use of fossil fuels. In an effort to reduce pollutants to the environment, stimulate commercialization of stationary fuel cell power plants, and utilize fuel cells in unique mission needs for DOD, Congress has established a grant program to support fuel cell demonstration projects.
The Climate Change Fuel Cell Program consists of installing, operating, and demonstrating a fuel cell. Applicants can utilize DOD or non-DOD sites; however, DOD installations must partner with a private entity. Priority will be given to those applicants who use a DOD installation. Foreign participation is limited to those entities which will provide power to a DOD facility within their national borders.
The applicant cannot be a developer of fuel cell technology or a fuel cell manufacturer, and the applicant's chosen fuel cell power plant(s) must be manufactured in the U.S. Applicants who have existing, installed fuel cells at the site or who have placed an order for one prior to 26 September 1994 are ineligible. The applicant must identify the intended use of each power plant. Power plants purchased as factory packaged shall be full power tested prior to installation. An applicant shall identify the site (specific name of DOD installation, hospital, university, etc.) and the intended use at the time of proposal submission. Prior to installation, the specific location at the site must be identified.
The applicant may transfer the power plant to a third party for installation and operation. Prior to installation, the applicant shall be responsible for supplying local National Environmental Policy Act-related information to DOD and for assuring that its power plant(s) is (are) installed and operated in accordance with all regulatory requirements. Applicants must use a fuel cell manufacturer who has at least 2 megawatts (MW)/year manufacturing capability to support the project. Projects must be greater than 100 kilowatts (kW) and are anticipated to be below 400kW. The period of performance is three years at which time the project shall operate at a rated power.
The applicant shall provide a project schedule with each proposal. Applicants will be required to submit a summary report of the power plant installation and operational history upon successful completion of one year of power plant operation. The report will be consistent with the format provided.
The federal contribution will be $1,000/kW and shall not exceed 1/3 of the total cost of the program, including unit cost, installation, and pre-commercial operation. If partnering with a DOD installation, the remainder of the costs shall be borne by the private partner and payment of the grant will be made to the private entity. There may be multiple grants to each applicant, although the Government reserves the right to limit the number of plants to an applicant to provide for customer and functional diversity. Payment of 80% of the grant shall be made upon demonstrating that the unit operates at the unit's maximum power capacity for 8 hours for the purpose identified in the project proposal. The remaining payment of 20% of the grant shall be issued upon submission of the final demonstration report. The proposal period for the Climate Control Fuel Cell Program grant ends 1 May 1997.
This Broad Agency Announcement is available from the World Wide Web Electronic Commerce Home Page called the Procurement Network (ProcNet) available at the following Web address: "http://procnet.pica.army.mil/"". (I-361 SN015533)
|Topics:||Fuel Cells, Environment|